AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Nov. 17, 2015 — Fall has arrived, and with it, deer collision season. Deer hunting and mating season means that motorists need to be extra cautious of deer-car collisions that increasingly occur around this time of year. Meemic Insurance Company wants to take the time to remind drivers to remain alert and aware when behind the wheel, as attentive driving can prevent crashes.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration there are about 1.5 million car accidents with deer each year that result in $1 billion in vehicle damage, about 150 human fatalities, and over 10,000 personal injuries.
“Collisions with deer always spike this time of year as they become more active during hunting and mating season,” said Meemic Insurance Company spokesperson, Pamela Harlin. “Deer become a serious safety hazard that drivers should be extra cautious of during the fall due to increased populations and hunters scaring the deer out of their natural habitat.”
Meemic Insurance Company offers several steps you can take to help avoid a deer collision:
- Stay aware, awake, and sober
- Car-deer crashes happen year-round, but are more likely during spring and fall, and at dusk and dawn so drivers should take extra precautions during these times
- Pay attention to deer crossing and speed limit signs. Deer are creatures of habit and signs are installed at known deer crossing areas to alert you
- Deer are herd animals, and frequently travel single file. If you see one whitetail, watch for others as another might not be far behind
- ALWAYS wear a safety belt. It is your best defense against injury in any roadway crash
- Multiple independent studies have found that “Deer whistles” are not effective at warding off deer so even if you have one, remain vigilant
In the event that a crash is unavoidable, Meemic Insurance Company offers this advice to drivers:
- Don’t swerve. Brake firmly, stay in your lane, hold the steering wheel, and come to a controlled stop
- Pull off the road. Turn on your emergency flashers and be cautious of traffic if you leave your vehicle
- Don’t try to remove a deer from a roadway unless you are convinced it’s dead. A wounded deer can cause serious injuries
- Report the crash to the nearest police and your insurance agent.
About Meemic Insurance Company
Meemic Insurance Company (www.meemic.com) provides personal lines insurance products solely and exclusively to teachers and other educational employees in Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois. For more than 65 years, Meemic remains a Michigan-based, teacher-founded company, proud partner of the educational community, committed to offering the finest possible protection, products and services at preferred rates. Trust Meemic for claims excellence, policy payment options to meet your needs and products tailored solely to the educational community we serve. Meemic is a financially strong company (A. M. Best rating effective December 2014). Best of all, by choosing Meemic, you’re also supporting fellow educators through The Meemic Foundation for the Future of Education, which provides exclusive educational grants for teachers. Our stability and reputation for integrity builds the confidence of our policyholders and remains the foundation for our continued mission to serve the educational community.
SOURCE Meemic Insurance Company